Based on Radiology Readiness, RAD-AID Malawi has two long-term bilateral goal initiatives: 1) human capacity building for radiology and 2) strengthening existing radiology services via education for clinicians and radiographers. The partnerships are located in Lilongwe, Malawi–the capital city. The main sites of collaboration are Kamuzu Central Hospital (KCH), a public, tertiary referral center, and Malawi College of Health Sciences (MCHS) Radiography Programme.
RAD-AID Malawi Program Successes (2013 – present)
Collaborative Educational Initiatives
- Created and implementing longitudinal pediatric ultrasound curriculum with KCH Departments of Radiology and Paediatrics, in which three Malawian radiographers have passed the Fundamental Component of the RAD-AID Inteleos Global Health Ultrasound Proficiency Certification.
- Providing mentorship to Malawian medical students on rotation with KCH surgery, including radiology image review and didactics as part of required curriculum.
- Providing continuing education for KCH sonographers and radiographers on cardiac echo, vascular imaging, and other requested topics.
- Gave training seminar on FAST ultrasound protocol for KCH’s Department of Surgery.
- Provided sponsorship for Malawian Radiographers Association conference.
- Consulted on National Radiology Policy for Ministry of Health.
- Donated two ultrasound units to the KCH Department of Radiology.
- Donated tablets to MCHS Radiography Programme for teaching purposes.
Five Training Grants for Malawian Health Professionals
- Contributing toward sponsoring one Malawian medical officer in a Registrar Training Programme (Master of Medicine Radiological Diagnosis).
- Contributing toward sponsoring one radiographer from KCH in obtaining a master’s degree with emphasis on sonography.
- Contributed toward sponsoring two MCHS Radiography Programme faculty in obtaining master’s degrees with successful completion.
- Contributed toward sponsoring one MCHS Radiography Programme student for diploma with successful completion.
Six Travel Grants for Malawian Health Professionals
- Twice sponsored Malawian consultant radiologist and radiology medical officer for international radiology conference attendance.
- Sponsored Malawian consultant radiologist on visit to the United States regarding Malawian Cancer Center implementation.
- Sponsored MCHS faculty member for international visit and presentation at the RAD-AID Conference.